Author: Fiona Workman, Nutritionist
As life seems to be getting heavier and harder, some light eating is one easy antidote. Smoothie bowls now appear in every trendy cafe and with the endless inspiration from Coconut Bowls, we can so easily make them at home. Fiona Workman, an experienced Nutritionist and food developer at Juiced Life, has shared some tips with us to ensure that our smoothie bowls are not only visually appealing, smooth and delicious, but also healthy.
Smoothie bases tend to be simple blends of fruit & veggies, and natural thickeners like banana, avocado, yogurt or nut butters topped with a visual feast of berries, coconut, crushed nuts, chia seeds or granola. They adhere to the Japanese concept of “eating with your eyes first” and make for a delicious and healthy start to your day. But how do you really make a healthy smoothie bowl?
The protein component slows blood sugar release so you feel satiated for longer. Generally, the more protein the better as I find we are consuming more carbohydrates these days and it’s not ending well! Combine a variety of your favourites like nut or seed butters and milks, chia seeds, the amazing hemp, oats, or any variety of yogurts to thicken the consistency and really fill you up.
Eat, or Drink, Slowly
Since bowls are eaten with spoons rather than drunk, we can’t just down them in a hurry. Take your time and you’ll eat less before your hormones tell you you’re full. A great trick for weight loss! Relaxing over a meal means we step out of that familiar stressed state, into the state of digestion, relaxation and longevity. Nice.
We can’t make omega 3 long chain fatty acids ourselves, so they are deemed “essential” in our diet. Chia seeds, flaxseeds and walnuts are all high in omega 3. A must have for a healthy smoothie, plus the added texture is really nice too! Soak chia or flaxseeds in liquid overnight so they plump up for maximum mucilaginous benefit. They help soothe and calm inflammation which our bodies are begging for.
Fruit & Veg
Choose your fruit and veggies wisely. According to ancient Ayurvedic medicine, a little sweetness encourages kindness and love but too much creates attachment and greed. Avoid citrus which doesn’t combine well with dairy. Berries are always a popular choice but don’t miss out on this opportunity to eat your greens. Blend baby spinach leaves with banana or avocado for a creamy smoothie base. Add some matcha powder to feel alert yet chilled.
Don’t forget the herbs! Thyme goes beautifully with most fruits, as does basil leaves for another taste perspective. If you aim for greens twice a day, you’ll enjoy plenty of magnesium for muscular relaxation, deeper sleep and a healthier heart. Bliss.
Smoothie bowls are an easy way to pump up your nutrition by using ingredients which will work for you, rather than against you. Consider 80% of your ingredients for health, and the other 20% for taste. That is the ratio for a healthy smoothie bowl. Sit back and enjoy a tasty, light, nutritious smoothie bowl and forget the world’s woes for a while.
To learn more about Fiona: Juiced Life