- 5 tbsp Coconut Butter melted (80 g)
- 1/2 cup Shredded Unsweetened Coconut plus more if needed (45g)
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup or your choice of sweetener (40g)
- 1/2 Lemon juice only
- 3/4 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1/4 cup Dried Cranberries (40 g)
- Melt coconut butter in a double boiler (a microwave might work as well).
- Add maple syrup (or any other liquid sweetener) and give it a mix with a spoon or whisk.
- Also, add lemon juice and lemon zest and mix again.
- Now add the shredded unsweetened coconut and stir with a spoon. The mixture will thicken and it shouldn't be too wet or sticky. If you believe it's too sticky or wet, simply add a little more coconut.
- Stir in the cranberries and put the mixture into the freezer for about 5 minutes. This will make the mixture firmer and better manageable.
- Use your hands to roll half to one tablespoon (depending on which size you prefer) of the mixture into balls. It works best with slightly damp hands. Enjoy! Store leftovers in the fridge or freezer!
- This recipe makes just a small batch (about 8-10 lemon balls, depending on the size). Double the recipe to store some balls in the freezer.
- Please note that coconut butter and coconut oil are NOT the same! Coconut butter contains just one ingredient which is shredded unsweetened coconut which has been processed in a food processor or blender. It’s rich in fiber and fat and has a smooth texture. Coconut oil, on the other hand, is the extracted oil from the coconut meat, however, it doesn’t contain any fiber.
- You can make your own coconut butter and all you need is shredded unsweetened coconut, a food processor, and some patience.
- Unsweetened coconut shreds are easily available in most grocery stores, make sure to check the Asian section too.