- 1 cup Rice uncooked
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2 Shallots chopped
- 5 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Star Anise
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- 2-3 tbsp Tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Sambal Oelek
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- Carrots as needed
- Bell Peppers as needed
- Green Peas as needed
- Scallions as needed
- Green Beans as needed
- Wash rice thoroughly in cool water, leave it to soak for 20 min while you prep the veggies.
- Drain the water from the rice.
In a deep pot, add 1 1/2 cups of water, add the rice, stir and turn up the heat and bring to a boil.
- Once it starts boiling, reduce heat to medium-low, stir once again, cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Once again reduce heat to the lowest possible temperature for 5 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Gently remove the lid, fluff the rice with a fork, set aside to let it cool down.
- Heat a a heavy wok, or heavy-bottomed deep skillet, add oil, Star anise and sauté shallots & garlic for 4 min.
- Add the vegetables, salt & pepper, sauté on high heat, stirring continuously for about 2-3 min.
- Add sweet soy sauce & sambal. Saute for 2 more minutes on high heat. Taste the veggies at this point to see if you would like to add more soy sauce, sambal, salt or pepper. If you like the perfect balance of sweet n spicy but don’t want to add anymore of the soy sauce, add some liquid sweetener of your choice instead.
- Gently add the cooked rice and stir on high heat, tossing in a way that doesn’t break the rice grains.