- 2 240 g blocks Extra Firm Tofu frozen and thawed
- Canola Oil or any neutral oil for frying
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 5 tsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tbsp Ground Flax Seed or Flax Seed Meal
- 6 tbsp Water
- 1/4 tsp Black Salt or regular salt
- 1/2 cup Bread Crumbs or japanese bread crumbs
- Prepare the flax egg by mixing the water, flax meal, and salt. Set aside and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes until thick.
- Freeze the blocks of tofu overnight. I removed my tofu from the container with water that I usually store it in and simply placed them on a freezer-safe tray. After freezing it, thaw the blocks for a few hours in room temperature. Squeeze out the liquid using two flat surfaces. Ensure that the liquid is drained out really well.
- Slowly break apart the pieces using a knife or your hands. You can follow the natural breaks of the tofu. There will be small pieces that you can clump together so don’t worry, nothing will go to waste!
- Afterwards, roll and coat each piece in the flour mixture. For the smaller pieces, you will need to clump and squeeze them together before and after rolling them into the flour mixture for them to stick together.
- After coating each piece into the flour, add 1/2 cup breadcrumbs into the leftover flour mixture. Mix well.
- Dip each piece of tofu into the flax egg mixture. Transfer onto the breadcrumb and flour mixture then coat well. Repeat this step for the rest of the pieces.
- Heat a pan with the oil. I used a cast iron pan and added enough oil to submerge at least half of the pieces in oil. Once hot, slowly add in the tofu pieces.
- Fry in medium heat until golden brown and crisp, turning each piece halfway through. Once golden brown, remove from the oil and transfer into a strainer to drain any excess oil. Turn off the heat.
- Enjoy while hot with some gravy or your favourite dipping sauce!