- 1 small Red Onion finely chopped
- 1 clove Garlic chopped
- 150 g Pearl Barley
- 1 tbsp Tahini
- 2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp White Miso
- 600 ml Water
- 500 g Carrots cut into sticks
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2-3 sprigs Thyme
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Marinate carrots in olive oil, thyme and salt. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes puree half of the carrots with the water. Let the rest of the carrots bake for 10 more minutes. Then turn off the oven and cover with aluminium foil so they won’t burn.
- Heat up some olive oil in a saucepan. Sauté onion and garlic until the onion has gone translucent. Add pearl barley and sauté for another minute. Pour in the carrot water mixture, add miso. Let the mixture come to a bubble, cover with a lid and let the pearl barley cook on low for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes stir in nutritional yeast and tahini and season with salt to taste.
- Serve straight away and garnish with the leftover roasted carrots and a drizzle of tahini and some fresh thyme leaves.