- 2 Red Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 250 g Mushrooms a mixture of oyster, shiitake, chestnut and button mushrooms is preferred but optional
- 3 tbsp Tamari or soy sauce
- 100 ml Vegetable Stock or water
- 250 g Wholemeal Penne Pasta
- 100 g Toasted Cashew Nuts
- 500 ml Soy Milk or non-dairy milk of choice
- Juice of Half a Lemon
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- Oregano or herb of choice
- 1 Chili
- Finely chop the onions and garlic, chop the mushrooms into small pieces.
- Put a non stick frying pan on high heat and allow to get super hot. Once super hot add the onions and garlic and fry until they start to brown.
- Once they start to brown and stick a little add veg stock or water to clean the pan and incorporate the browned flavour to the dish. This should take about 3-5 mins.
- Add the mushrooms and fry for 2-3 mins again adding a little water or veg stock if they start to stick.
- Add 3 tbsp of tamari/ soy sauce and fry for a further 2 mins. Turn off the heat.
- Cook the pasta as per the instructions on the back of the pack.
- Time to make the sauce, in a blender add the cashew nuts, soy milk or milk of choice, lemon, salt and garlic powder and blend till super smooth.
- Put the frying pan back on high heat, add the sauce in on top of mushrooms and heat up and allow the sauce to reduce for 2-3 mins.
- Once the pasta is cooked use a slotted spoon to add pasta straight into the sauce.
- If the sauce gets too thick add a little pasta water to reach the desired thickness of sauce.
- Chop the chilli (removing seeds if you want it less hot) and pluck the oregano off the stalk and serve to add flavour and garnish.